Angels belong in heaven.
But did you know that there is a festival in Bulacan, Philippines where kids dress up as angels in the honor of the Archangel St. Rafael?
From the town named after the archangel, San Rafael in Bulacan, people gather around to commemorate the feast day of the said saint every 29th of September. Celebrating their 15th year of this tradition, I was fortunate to attend this enthralling event!
The weather was not kind to us that day, but the participants of the street dance parade never lost their eagerness to continue the program. Though the street dancing was not carried out on the street, they still managed to showcase their dynamic dance routines while wearing their extravagantly colorful props and costumes.
Here are some photos I took during the street dance competition:
Please visit this Gallery for more photos!
This year’s street dance competition winners are:
ELEMENTARY DIVISION – SMALL SCHOOL CATEGORY
- Best in San Rafael Costume – St. Raphael Montessori
- Best in Costume – Salapungan Elementary School
- Best in Choreography – Salapungan Elementary School
- Best in Street Dancing – Salapungan Elementary School
- 2nd Runner-up: Pasong Intsik Elementary School
- 1st Runner-up: Colegio de San Juan de Dios
- CHAMPION: Salapungan Elementary School
ELEMENTARY DIVISION – BIG SCHOOL CATEGORY
- Best in San Rafael Costume – Sampaloc Elementary School
- Best in Costume – St. Paul College
- Best in Choreography – Caingin Elementary School
- Best in Street Dancing – Caingin Elementary School
- 2nd Runner-up: Pulo Elementary School
- 1st Runner-up: St. Paul College
- CHAMPION: Caingin Elementary School
HIGH SCHOOL DIVISION
- Best in San Rafael Costume – Salapungan NHS
- Best in Costume – Lydia D. Villangca TS
- Best in Choreography – Salapungan NHS
- Best in Street Dancing – Salapungan NHS
- 2nd Runner-up: San Rafael National TS
- 1st Runner-up: Lydia D. Villangca TS
- CHAMPION: Salapungan NHS
How to get there:
From Cubao, ride a bus going to San Miguel, Bulacan (Baliuag Transit Bus Liner or any other bus that will head that way). Then ask the driver to drop you off the San Rafael Municipality.
For their annual event’s schedule, you can visit their Facebook page.
Related post: Singkaban Festival: Indakan sa Kalye